Del Norte County, California Resources

Senior Woman:  Protect seniors physically, emotionally, financially.

All community members may report dependent adult or elder abuse to help Adult Protective Services ensure that Del Norte County, Califonria victims of abuse can get the help they need as soon as possible. Adult Protective Services receives reports from family members, service and health providers, law enforcement, and other concerned citizens. Reports can be received by phone or mail.

Social workers dedicated to the intake process receive and document reports of abuse or neglect. Adult Protective Services assesses the urgency of the situation and are able to respond immediately if necessary or to contact law enforcement if needed. Reporting parties should call 911 directly if a life threatening situation is in progress.

If a report is determined to meet Adult Protective Services criteria, a social worker is assigned to investigate the allegations and assess the client's situation. Because of confidentiality laws, the reporting party may not receive information about the outcome of Adult Protective Services involvement.

Adult Protective Services may determine that the allegations or the situation does not meet the required criteria for Adult Protective Services involvement. In such cases, referrals or consultation may be appropriate. Many police departments are developing task forces specifically trained to combat the growing threat of elder abuse specifically financial exploitation of the elderly.

Steps to report Dependent Adult or Elder Abuse to Adult Protective Services:

  1. Call 911 for Life-Threatening Emergencies
  2. Call Adult Protective Services to report dependent adult or elder abuse
  3. Complete State Abuse report forms:

    Mandated Reporters and all other reporters use this form:
    "Report of Suspected Dependent Adult/Elder Abuse" (SOC 341)

    Financial Institutions ONLY use this form:
    "Report of Suspected Dependent Adult/Elder Financial Abuse" (SOC 342)

    Mail the written report within 2 working days to:
    Del Norte County Department of Health and Human Services
    Attention: Adult and Family Services
    880 Northcrest Drive
    Crescent City, CA 95531

Local Services:

Department of Health and Human Services
880 Northcrest Drive
Crescent City CA 95531-3485
Phone: (707)464-3191
Fax: (707)465-1783

The In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) program is a federal, state, and locally funded program designed to provide assistance to those eligible aged, blind, and disabled individuals who, without this care, would be unable to remain safely in their own homes. In-Home Supportive Services provides services according to the recipient’s ability to perform daily activities, and can include feeding, bathing, dressing, housekeeping, laundry, shopping, meal preparation and clean up, respiration, bowel & bladder care, moving in and out of bed, rubbing the skin (to prevent skin breakdown), accompaniment to medical appointments, paramedical services, and protective supervision.

In-Home Supportive Service recipients are responsible for locating their own home care providers, for hiring and supervising their providers, and for firing the provider if the services are not performed according to the client’s specifications.

Who Qualifies for In-Home Supportive Services

  • You must be receiving Medi-Cal, be blind, disabled, or 65 years of age or older, AND be unable to live at home safely without help.
  • In-Home Supportive Services Social Workers determine if you qualify by assessing your functional need for specific services, and identify the amount of time to be allotted for the performance of services. Depending on the amount of your monthly income, you may be required to pay a share of cost for these services.
  • Complete and return an application. Contact your local Department of Health & Human Services and request a In-Home Supportive Services application.


Meals on Wheels:

Del Norte Senior Center
1765 Northcrest Dr.
Crescent City CA 95531
Phone: (707)464-5511


Legal Resources:

If you know something, say something! Whistleblowers are encouraged and indeed rewarded for reporting wrongdoing by nursing homes, banks, hospitals.

Sheriff Department
650 Fifth Street
Crescent City, CA 95531
Phone: (707)464-4191
Fax: (707)464-6527

Custom Search


It is our goal to provide the most up-to-date information regarding identifying and reporting elder abuse, neglect and exploitation. If you would like to be referred to an attorney for assistance please complete this form.
Information Request Form
* Required
* *