In Missouri, during 2004, Adult Protective Services received 11,471 reports of alleged elder abuse and neglect. Of these, over half (55%) were confirmed. In 15 percent of the cases, adult maltreatment was "suspected."
Reports involved all major types of abuse: physical neglect (50.8%), emotional neglect (13.1%), emotional abuse (9.9%), physical abuse (9.2%), financial exploitation (7.8%), financial neglect (4.6%), and mental disability (3.2%).
State Government Agencies
- Missouri Adult Protective Services
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
- Missouri Attorney General's Office
- Missouri Ombudsman Program
- Elder Abuse Hotline: 1-800-392-0210
Sources for Statistics
- Protective Services: Help in Situations of Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation. Missouri Guide for Seniors
- Protecting Victims of Domestic Violence