In Colorado, during fiscal year 2007, Adult Protective Services received approximately 11,000 reports of adult mistreatment and self-neglect. Approximately 6,400 cases were active during fiscal year 2007.
Just over half of Colorado's adult protective services clients are age 75 and older.
State Government Agencies
- Colorado Adult Protective Services
- Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Health Facilities Division
- Colorado Division of Aging and Adult Services
- Colorado Long Term Care Ombudsman
- To report mistreatment or self-neglect of an at-risk adult call the County Department of Social (Human) Services.
- To contact the Long-Term Care Ombudsman assigned to a licensed nursing home or assisted living residence, call the regional Area Agency on Aging.
- For general information on Elder Rights and Adult Protection please call the Colorado Coalition for Elder Rights and Adult Protection at 1-800-773-1366 (inside Colorado) or 303-866-2849.
- Colorado Adult Protective Services Statutes
- Other Colorado Statutes Relevant to the Protection of At-Risk Adults
Sources for Statistics
- Colorado Adult Protective Services Data Review
- Colorado Division of Aging and Adult Services, "Footnote 108 – Adult Protective Services"
- Colorado AARP Elder Watch / Fraud Prevention - A Program with the Colorado Attorney General
- Colorado Coalition for Elder Rights and Adult Protection
- How to Participate in Resolving Health Care Problems in Nursing Homes
By: Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Health Facilities Division
- Seventeenth Judicial District Family Violence Coordinating Council, Elder Abuse Committee